Planning to explore new destinations on a shoestring budget? Travelling on a limited budget doesn’t have to be difficult. Once you get the hang of it, you can start having a lot of fun. Here are few tips to help you enjoy your adventure without burning a hole in your pocket.
- No matter where you go, try and eat like a local. You will not only save money but also get to explore local cuisines.
- If you get tired of eating local food and you have access to a kitchen, you can pick up some groceries and create your own feast.
- Getting a bed in a dorm is a great way of saving some serious coin. You can also opt for a private room in a hostel because it will be any day cheaper than staying in a hotel.
- Staying in a hostel is not only cheap but you will also get to meet and interact with backpackers from different parts of the world. You can also find traveling buddies and gain useful tips from fellow travelers.
- Transportation is one of the most expensive parts of travelling. If you don’t mind giving up some comfort, travel “local style”.
- Try commuting in trains, vans, buggies, tuk-tuks or ferries. You will not only save some serious cash but also get to experience travel the way it is really done.
- It helps to get off the beaten path and explore not-so-touristy places.
- You can hitch a ride with a local and visit a coastal town or maybe a jungle village.
- If you visit places where there are fewer tourists, prices will be significantly low. Also, you will get the opportunity to explore the local life and know the country better.
Every Penny Counts:
- Book tickets well in advance so that you get them at best rates.
- Book cheap flights and avoid travelling to expensive countries.
- Travel light. Try to buy or borrow things that you really need while travelling
- Install an offline language learning app on your phone to overcome language problems wherever you go. This will be a better option rather than carrying a dictionary with you.
- Get a guidebook and educate yourself about exchange rates, rates of different excursions and other expenses to budget your trip