Hindi is not only the mother tongue for more than 180 million people in India but also a second language for more than 300 million. It is undoubtedly one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.
Here are a few lesser-known facts about Hindi language that you should know:
- Hindi derived its name from the word ‘Hind’. It is a Persian word that means “land of the Indus River”.
- Hindi language is also spoken in countries like Mauritius, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Nepal, Fiji and Guyana.
- Bihar was the first Indian state to adopt Hindi. In 1881, Bihar replaced Urdu with Hindi as the official state language.
- Hindi was adopted as an official language by the constituent assembly on 14th September 1949, (now celebrated as Hindi Day).
- It is the second most widely spoken language in the world, followed by English and Spanish.
- Prem Sagar (Ocean of Love) is considered to be the first published book in Hindi. It was written by Lallu Lal and was published in 1805. This book is based on the deeds of Lord Krishna.
- It was in 1930s that Hindi typewriters were introduced in the market.
- At its earliest stage, Hindi was known as Apabhramsa. It was known by various other names at different stages of its evolution.
How to Have Fun Learning Hindi
If you want to learn Hindi for fun, the best way to do it is through a language app. You can install the Learn Hindi Quickly app by AlterGyan on your smartphone or tablet and start learning Hindi phrases and words on the go. This app has a list of more than 1200 commonly-used Hindi phrases and words voiced out by a native speaker. Since it is an offline language learning app, you can learn the language no matter where you are.